1. What is navigation?
2. What are the duties and responsibilities of a deck cadet?
3. What is magnetic compass error?
4. What is GMDSS?
5. What is SART?
6. What is EPIRB?
7. What is the difference between x-band radar and s-band radar?
8. What is variation?
9. What is deviation?
10. Describe the magnetic compass.
11. What are the types of magnetic compass?
12. What is the help channel on VHF?
13. What is a motor vessel?
14. What is a fishing vessel?
15. What is a ship not under command?
16. What is a vessel with limited manoeuvrability?
17. What is a draft restricted vessel?
18. What is a seaplane?
19. Quote COLREG rules 1-36
20. Define the turning curve of the ship.
a. Draw the ship’s turning curve.
b. Underline the 6 elements of the turning curve on the drawing.
c. Choose 2 elements of the gyration curve and give their definition.
21. Explain graphically the steering effect of the rudder:
a. The ship goes forward, rudder on starboard.
b. Ship going aft, rudder to starboard.
22. Explain graphically the steering effect of the propeller:
a. Right turn, ship going forward.
b. Right-hand direction of rotation, ship goes astern.
23. Explain graphically the effect of the ship’s tacking at the quay:
a. Ship anchored to starboard, bow rising.